Nickname: The Great
Resides: Rowland Heights, CA
22-year-old heavyweight prospect Alexander “The Great” Flores became the first boxer signed to a long-term promotional contract in September 2011 with Roy Englebrecht Promotions in the history of the long-standing promotional firm.
And what a fine prospect he has become. With youth and length on his side, Flores has turned heads with fine performances in his young career.
2011 was an outstanding year for the young heavyweight, having easily outpointed the much hyped former football star Quadtrine Hill in Las Vegas over four rounds in April, and then topping that with a destruction of former amateur standout Serhiy Karpenko in the August installment of Fight Club OC in August 2011, via a brutal 3rd round KO.
In October 2011, Flores dispatched of durable veteran Chad Davis of Phoenix, AZ in the very first round at San Manuel Casino in Highland, CA.
In December 2011, he destroyed rugged journeyman Kelsey Arnold in devastating fashion in the first round as well, dramtically dropping the veteran with a crushing right hand at The Hangar in Orange County.
2012 was no different at all. In April of 2012 he dismantled Giovani Sarran with a second round stoppage at The Hangar in Orange County.
May 17th, Flores won the Vacant WBC Youth Heavyweight Title with an impressive stoppage of previously unbeaten Joey Montoya of Colorado Springs, CO. This fight took place in front of a star studded crowd at Lakeside Country Club in Burbank, CA.
Flores was given a big test by Las Vegas native Henry Namauu in August of 2012, when Namauu gamely fought into the eight and final round before finally falling to the pressure of Flores.
In December, Flores outclassed journeyman Matt Hicks over one round. Flores has run his record to 11-0 and 9 KO’s, including seven consecutive wins inside the distance.
Flores has yet to see the scorecards while under the Roy Englebrecht banner.
Boxing experts have taken note, as one reputable blogger has Flores pegged as the 23rd best heavyweight prospect in the world. Among Amercian heayweights, he is in the top 10. Boxingprospects.info describes him as “likely the American heavyweight to watch for in the upcoming decade.”
Flores is currently ranked in the top 40 of the World Boxing Council, and is by far the youngest heavyweight among that top 40.
Look for Flores to not only shine at The Hangar, but on network television in 2013.
Facebook Alex @ http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000829741444
Resides: Federal Way, WA
With the search for the next great American heavyweight underway, renowned promoter Roy Englebrecht believes that he has not just found one, but two of the best in the game today, with the announcement that he has signed highly-touted “Vicious” Vincent Thompson to a five year promotional contract. Thompson now joins fellow unbeaten Alexander “The Great” Flores on the Roy Englebrecht Promotions roster.
“I am very excited to sign with Roy Englebrecht Promotions,” said the 29-year-old Thompson, who is 11-0 as a pro. “Roy has a long history in boxing and he is the type of promoter who will give me the opportunity to reach my goal to become the heavyweight champion of the world.”
“To have the opportunity to sign and promote Vincent Thompson at this point in his career is an honor for my company,” said Englebrecht. “Vince brings a great support group with him in his co-managers Sam DiTusa and Cal Thompson, so we are already halfway there. I believe Roy Englebrecht Promotions now has two of the top five heavyweight prospects in the country in Vince Thompson and Alexander Flores, and the sky is the limit for both fighters.”
Thompson will make his debut under the REP banner on Thursday, December 6, when he faces Andre Carthron on the Fight Club OC card at the Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa, California. Joining him will be Flores (10-0, 8 KOs), who battles Matt Hicks. Both bouts are scheduled for six rounds or less. Needless to say, this is an exciting moment in REP’s history of putting on top-notch boxing action throughout the Southern California area.
“I’ve had the opportunity to see Vince’s entire career from Day One, and have seen the progression,” said REP matchmaker Whitfield Haydon. “He has come a long way in a fairly short time. What he does well, he does very well. His hand speed and mental makeup are world class.”
A native of Fort Bragg, North Carolina now making his home in Federal Way, Washington, Vincent Thompson (11-0, 2 KOs) has had gloves on his fists since the age of six. 23-5 as an amateur, Thompson turned pro in August of 2009 with a four round win over Freddie Miller, and he hasn’t skipped a beat since. A popular boxer in his home state of Washington, “Vicious” Vincent’s blinding hand speed and ring savvy always produces a packed house, and in his most recent bout, on May 25, he delivered a near-shutout performance in decisioning Joell Godfrey on ESPN Friday Night Fights. Now he’s ready for the next step in his career, and Thompson and his team believe the man to get him there is Roy Englebrecht.
“I am happy to have signed Vince with a premier promoter on the West Coast in Roy Englebrecht,” said Calvin Thompson, father, trainer, and co-manager of the rising heavyweight star. “He runs a first-class operation and I have all the confidence that he will take Vince to the championship.”
“On behalf of our entire team I am very happy to be signed with Roy Englebrecht,” adds co-manager Sam DiTusa. “He runs a first-class promotion and we have total confidence in him and his matchmaker Whit Hayden, who has been an integral part of our team since Day One, and we know to have our best interests at heart.”
Facebook Vincent @ Fight Club Oc
Resides: San Bernardino, CA
Newport Beach, CA.; When Orange County fight promoter Roy Englebrecht became the first California boxing promoter to promote a pro MMA show back in 2006, Englebrecht knew the value of this new sport, and now does almost all his 20+ fight shows a year as hybrid shows with pro mma and boxing on the same card, with his flagship brand FIGHT CLUB OC playing to sellout crowd in The Hangar at the OC Fair & Event Center.
Now Englebrecht has taken another step in the mixed martial arts world by signing his first pro MMA fighter to a promotional agreement, when it was announced today that middleweight Curtis Millender will join Roy Englebrecht Promotions with his first fight set for the August 15th Fight Club OC show.
Millender, who is 2-0 as a pro, is out of the UFC Gym in Fullerton, and is trained by Head Coach Billy Burke, along with Uchenna Anyikam, Joe Murphy, and Joey Aguilar. In his first two pro bouts to say that Millender made an immediate impression in mma circles is an understatement. All he did was dominate Paul Gemmati in his pro debut in February, winning all three rounds; and then come back on April 11th and scored “the Knockout of the Year” with a 34 second first round KO of Blake Belshe. At 6-1 and only 25 years of age, Millender is the new mma prototype fighter, with great hand speed, great leg power, and a fearless demeanor in the cage!
“The success of any fight promotions company, and especially on the club level, is to give fans great fights with local fighters,” said promoter Roy Englebrecht. “The signing of Curtis Millender ensures that our Fight Club OC fans will see just an awesome young fighter develop before their eyes, as well as having his family and friends there to cheer him on.”
“It is widely known that we have the best MMA talent on the planet in Southern California,” said Mel Valenzuela, the MMA matchmaker for Roy Englebrecht Promotions. “But even in Southern California does one rarely come across a young fighter that is built like Jon Jones….moves like Floyd Mayweather Jr….and hits like Mike Tyson. Curtis possesses that rare mix of talent, desire, and ability that one can only dream of. We at Roy Englebrecht Promotions are fortunate to have the opportunity to watch such a promising talent develop his skills and grow into one of the most well rounded and feared prospects to come out of Southern California.”
“This is a real big opportunity for me to sign with Roy Englebrecht Promotions, and have a chance to showcase my talents with a major promotions company,” said Millender, “and I will certainly take full advantage of this great opportunity. My ultimate goal is to be the best in the world, as well as give back 100% of what everyone has given to me.”
Tickets for Millender’s debut under the REP banner on August 15th are available here on Fightcluboc.com.
Division: Junior Welterweight